Action Plan for an Easy Move
- Get estimates from at least three professional movers. Moving yourself? Get estimates on rental trucks.
- Decide which furniture and household goods you'll be taking, which needs to be disposed and which needs to be replaced.
- Moving to a new city? Ask your agent for a new residence packet.
- Inventory Possessions.
- Complete a change of address form with the post office. Notify organizations, credit card companies and publications.
- Obtain copies of all medical, dental, legal, accounting and vet records.
- Arrange for the transfer of children's educational records.
- Schedule packing with your mover to take place a day or two before the move. Packing yourself? Purchase adequate boxes, packing materials and tape.
- Arrange for short-term storage if needed.
- Make travel arrangements for family and pets.
- Pack items you won't need immediately or that will go into storage.
- Contact utilities on both ends of the move to order termination or turn-on.
- Confirm travel arrangments for family and pets.
- Gather important papers, records and valuables for protected shipment.
- Obtain prescirption medications needed for the next few weeks.
Day Before or Actual Moving Day
- Defrost refrigerator/freezer and give away perishable food.
- Keep a box marked "Last Packed/First Unpacked" for tools, flahlights, first-aid, etc.
- Give movers a telephone number and address to reach you.
Stephanie Miller Rhodes
Director of Recruiting
(704) 897-2559 office
(704) 582-2498 mobile